Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Heading Out






JFK Airport, 11pm on 6 Sept. 2010


After feeling much anxiety for the last few days – no weeks – I am much calmer now that I’m at JFK Airport awaiting my flights to Busan, South Korea. 15 hours and 7000 miles to Seoul – ouch! Maybe I’m calmer because I’m tired or maybe it’s because I finally got everything to fit in my bag (well, not everything). Could it just be denial? I’m used to airports and planes. My mind could be playing tricks on me and thinking we’ll be landing in Arizona or California. I was jonesing for one final Starbucks Chai Latte, but I seem to be in the one area of NYC that their arms do not reach. So here I sit at gate B26, the only blonde in sight. The gate announcements are in Korean and then English - I’ve already left the US. :)



It has been a whirlwind few weeks. I have completed two TESOL online courses, traveled around the northeast a bit seeing family and friends, officially quit my job, dogsat, babysat, made many runs to the pharmacy getting supplies, and maybe the most shocking is that I started dabbling in eating meat after being vegetarian for 15 years (I figure on this trip I can’t avoid fish/meat so wanted to get my stomach adjusted stateside). I can’t say I’m enjoying much of it and can’t quite imagine eating Busan’s main cuisine, raw fish. I never even had that before I was vegetarian. I don’t think that delicacy had made an appearance in Oklahoma in the ‘80s or early ‘90s. I’m sure in Asia I’ll be eating lots of things that I don’t know what they are and maybe that’s better for the recent off-the-wagon vegetarian. I’ll just continue to thank the animal, fish, shellfish or whatever gave its life for its involuntary sacrifice.


It’s been tough saying my goodbyes to people – only finishing them up on my way to the airport. I have to keep reminding myself that unlike the adventures and traders of earlier centuries I have the luxury of Skype, email, and cell phones. As I amass all the courage I can for this adventure, I have a new respect for the courage it took those who traveled distances before all those technologies, and even the telegraph. Just a few years ago it would have taken more courage. I will be far more connected with friends and family then I was just 14 years ago when I headed off to Florence to study for a semester. I had no email (I’ve always been slow on the technology front) and calling home was expensive and rare (of course I had no cell phone - that was only for the very rich) so snail mail was it. And I definitely had no blog!


I really appreciate all the farewell wishes I received. I also have some nice farewell gifts. I have wonderful reminders of those I love: a Turkish medallion to ward off the evil eye, a periwinkle shell, beautifully homemade pouches for my mp3 player and camera, earrings, smiley face stickers as well as cards and books of encouragement and love. My sister, the vet, also made sure to look out for my health. She’s helped stock my medical kit, even throwing in crazy glue for deep cuts I get when I’m not in a place to get stitches! So far I’ve just managed to glue sheets of plastic to myself while I was assembling my hiding places for traveler’s checks. She’s also made me promise not to go barefoot in Africa. :)


As you can see from my pictures the process of packing was quite an ordeal and only met with success after several rounds of search and destroys missions with a friend. Are you amazed with the results – I am! I really have to pat myself on the back (and my friend) for the compactness and that the bag comes in under 50 pounds. After my South Korea stint I’ll be able to get rid of even more! Considering I’m going for a year I thought what I had for the first round wasn’t so crazy. But considering I have to lug all this stuff myself, I needed my things to fit into a bag smaller than I usually take for a weeklong trip! I had to make some tough sacrifices like 2 of my 4 hand sanitizers, 1 pair of shoes, 1 pair of pants, and some make-up (but not as much as my friend would have liked). :) Actually my heartbreaking decision was to leave my new SLR camera and 3 lenses behind. I know it would be cumbersome and likely get stolen, but for those who know me you know how much I love photography. I’ve even had daydreams of being a professional or at least selling some of my work. But I couldn’t make it fit without adding a bag. And always having to carry around my laptop and camera gear would surely make me a hunchback. So the friends I left it with will either enjoy snapping pictures of their adorable 1 year old (I took 500 pictures of him in 3 hours!) or they will have to express mail it to me when serious withdrawal sets in. For now my point and shoot will have to do.


I don’t have a room to rent set up yet in Busan, but do have a dorm bed in a hostel. And hopefully I can find some teaching English gigs soon. More later...


Busan, South Korea - 8 Sept. 2010


I’ve made it to my hostel in Busan, South Korea via a bus. People have been great in offering help and wanting to chat with me if they know English. Although most residents here have asked why I came so it makes me wonder if they don’t think it’s worth it. The people I’ve talked to in the hostel have enjoyed it. Still not sure that reality has set in – maybe when I’m over the jetlag. Made a quick inquiry with the hostel receptionist about finding a room to rent and she said it might be hard not having a friend here already, but she gave me a website. I’ll give it a go here and can head to Seoul if need be. I’ve seen more adds online for Seoul.


Oh, so after being bummed to not get Starbucks at JFK there is one just up the street. I should have known. I tend to stay away from American establishments abroad, but that might be my comfort stop now and then.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Honey,
    Can't believe how coherent this blog is considering your sleep depravation. I wouldn't be able to put 2 words together after those flights. No blending in with the crowd now. Your blondness definitely sets you apart but that can work to your advantage also. You're smart not to analyze food -- we found ignorance was bliss when dining in Viet Nam. As long as it's cooked......enjoy! Get some rest. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sis,
    Glad you made it there safely. I presume that you must have been feeling pretty good when you arrived in Busan since you took the bus rather than springing for a taxi. Looking forward to your next posting. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KB!

    Wow! I can't believe that already arrived. Korea looks beautiful. Congratulations on buying the phone. Can't wait to read more. Good luck on finding an apartment.

    Love,
    Carmen

    P.S. Had to laugh when I saw the pictures of all your stuff on the bed and then the finished 3 packed bags - very impressive.

    ReplyDelete