Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adventures at Spa Land

14 September 2010

You might have been wondering – where has she been, but I am back. :) I am making my way by train to Seoul to meet a family that I might stay with. It has been a busy, but fun and productive last couple of days.


Spa Land! It conjures all kinds of ideas in the mind; a roller coaster where the seat back massages you and you wear cucumbers over your eyes, a ride in tea cups full of tea because of leaves healing qualities, or maybe instead of hot dogs there are fruit dogs. The theme song is “It’s a Spa World.” As I walked through the doors of the largest bathhouse in Korea I was daydreaming of such things.


The spa just opened last year and is on par with Canyon Ranch, but only cost me 14,000W (~$10) for 4 hours! The afternoon turned out to be such a treat. As you enter you put your shoes in a shoe room locker and then go barefoot the rest of the time. You then get a locker in the locker room to put everything else. I didn’t know the order of things, but I think I happened to do it in the right order. The spa treatment rooms are co-ed and all wear short pants and a top. My first stop was an outdoor foot bath, which was relaxing and I must say my feet still feel great. The treatment rooms have different healing qualities and some are Korean while others are Turkish, Roman and Finnish. One usually lies down or sits on the floor. I laid on a marble slab that lightly vibrated so that my DNA was rejuvenated (I think that was the DNA one). Another had salt rocks to do some other amazing thing for me (obviously I didn’t make it into the one that helped memory!). Most rooms were quite warm, but there was a cool down room. There was also a relaxation room, which was huge and had a restaurant and big comfy chairs with a TV for each pair. They had a snack bar from which I tasted some smoked eggs (the inside turns brown). This cafe was near a large area to socialize or eat (all of which was done on the floor).


I didn’t have as much stamina for the heat as the “regulars” so I headed to the baths after two hours. This part of course is separated men and women. I’ve been to other bathhouses in Turkey and Hungary, but this was unique. I walked in and saw numerous pools and loads of women (it was a Sunday after all) soaking, scrubbing, and washing every part of themselves. Friends and family would scrub one another’s backs. There were also small vanities where you could sit and wash yourself in front of a mirror. Then there were the showers that I was more used to (but no curtains or doors). I did learn that only the soaking takes place in the pools. The actually scrubbing is done outside and you rinse yourself with a bowl of water. It is unusual coming from the US to see so many women comfortable being nude in front of one another and bathing. The part I was most uncomfortable with was the squatty chairs that all the women used one after the other. It’s funny how each culture has its own standards of what is sanitary. In the readymade food area of the mall all the servers wear a clear mask that goes from their chin up over their mouth and we don’t do that in the US. I would be fine with the server giving me food without that, but I couldn’t exact the mind-shift required to use those squatty chairs.


After bathing I ventured to the outdoor hot spring area (manmade). It was relaxing and there were benches to lie on. I actually felt the need to clean again so headed to the showers (I felt they were my best option). I still had an hour left and was determined to not use my 14,000W to the fullest! So I got a clean uniform and headed to the lounge chairs in the spa treatment area. I grabbed my book and journal and plopped down. This is when one of my biggest delights so far happened.


Across from me was a Korean family eating. One of the women gave me a banana and later a pastry like delight. She then asked me to come and sit with her family. My eyes lit up and I bowed (I’m sure my bow is not the model of grace, but I try). Two younger members of the family spoke English very well. One studied English for a year in NYC and the other goes in 2 weeks. The young man about to head to NYC asked for suggestions on where to buy apartment gear, the best restaurants and which bank to use. He also wanted an English name. I told him a few. His cousin and I liked Charlie, but he thought it was a playboy name. He liked the sound of Dylan though. I felt so honored getting to “name” someone. Of course, after we parted I thought of more great names. We had so much fun talking and the woman who initially talked to me asked about my background. It’s commonplace in Korea to ask people about their age, marital status, etc. in order to place them within the hierarchy. Being a teacher seems to be pretty well respected and students apparently say “teacher” rather than Mr./Mrs. X. I lost track of time and when I looked at my watch I had 5 minutes to check out so had to hurriedly say my goodbyes and thanks. We exchanged contact info so maybe I’ll see them again. I am so glad I decided to go back to the common area.


Here's the link of Spa Land so you can see the place for yourself: http://centumcity.shinsegae.com/resort/sparland_info.asp


I’m in Seoul and just found a homestay position. Cross your fingers for me!!! Here's a picture of me tonight in Seoul. It was taken by my new friend that I met at Spa Land! Off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment