Friday, November 26, 2010

Banjarmasin Canal Tours - Photos


































November 26, 2010


Almost caught up on the backlog! Here are the pictures from my two canal tours in Banjarmasin, Kalimantan (Borneo). One was an evening tour as people bathed and swam and the other was the early morning tour of the floating market. Both were so fun and fascinating. You can also see my dinner with friends from the evening tour. It was a potato soup and the friend round item was also potato. It was all very good.


I’ve also included some pictures with some of the locals who first asked me for a picture. From what I’ve been told, it’s good luck to have a picture of a white person. An idea that makes my brows furrow. One man on a motor bike did a u-turn to come back and ask me for a photo. I wonder what they’d say if I said no?! :) The group picture with the guys was taken when I stopped for some street food. You can see it here and it was really good. There was tofu, eggs and some other delights that were a mystery. In Kalimantan and Sulawesi if I paused on the sidewalk I was very quickly surrounded by local men. They didn’t usually make me feel threatened, but it was a bit of a hassle. In this case I had fun talking with the teens, some of whom spoke a little English.


Off to bake for another Thanksgiving dinner so will try to write the blog about my island visit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment