Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Singapore Spoils You!






October 6, 2010


I just finished reading almost 200 pages about Indonesia and I’m exhausted just from my initial planning of the trip! There are so many amazing places to see and I’m having trouble narrowing down where to go. Traveling is going to be challenging and an “adventure” as Lonely Planet said, but it sounds amazing. I have a feeling my patience will really be exercised when I try to go from one town or island to another. I was thinking of going to Malaysia too, but I don’t know that I can squeeze both in. We’ll see after I read the Malaysia section – or maybe I shouldn’t read it. Better to not know what I’m missing...


I’m being totally spoiled here in Singapore. I’m staying with friends in their very modern apartment with all the western conveniences. I’ve wandered the mega-malls for various errands. The malls have grocery stores, food courts, restaurants and shops that revolve around a theme (i.e., athletic wear, children’s toys and clothes, high end fashion, etc.). The malls allow you to stay out of the humid heat for awhile.


I still have much of Singapore to explore, but it is clean and modern with beautiful buildings (lots of high rises). The city is also very international. Prices here are even higher than NYC! I went to buy my SE Asia guide today and a novel and had to search for the “cheap” books. A basic paperback for a author I liked was $30US! I found another book that was $15US instead.


My friend, her baby and I also went to the botanical garden and saw the humongous lizard you see here. There were also some beautiful flowers.


Oh... time to run to the store for dessert! You don’t want to know how many desserts I’ve had since I arrived!!!


Becky took a picture of us getting ready to run for dessert. Now I’ve got some Ben & Jerry’s ice cream and am quite content.

No comments:

Post a Comment