Sunday, December 5, 2010

Leaving the Cushy Life








December 5, 2010


It's been a relaxing week and a half, but I will be on the ground in Vietnam in less than 24 hours so I have to mentally and logistically prepare myself.

Logistically, I have to get my money belt together, roll some toilet paper for my purse, pack, etc. Mentally, I have to get ready to be constantly on guard again and always planning. From what I read theft and snatching is common in Ho Chi Minh City (my first stop) so I have to be very vigilant. I also have to “put my patience hat on” while I try to communicate and learn my way around. I have to also get used to “roughing” it again and in Vietnam I’ll be able to stay in more hostels so I’ll be sharing rooms. I love coming back to Singapore and being with my friends while having some cushy downtime, but it makes a startling transition when I hit the road again.


I have heard amazing things about Vietnam and I’ve read up on some wonderful places so I am very excited to get there. My visa expires in a month so we’ll see if that’s enough time for me.


Yesterday, I went to my friend’s holiday cookie party and had a great time. We all brought homemade cookies to swap and also decorated sugar cookies. You can see my masterpieces. :) In the last 24 hours I have probably had 20 cookies and I have more beside me now! I usually host a cookie party, but the last two years I wasn’t up for it. Now my Christmas spirit and excitement has come back so it was great to have a party to go to, especially since I couldn’t host my own. It is also wonderful to hear Christmas music and feel my mood lighten. The corners of my mouth automatically turn upwards when I hear the music and see the decorations. Christmas isn’t big in Vietnam so it will be a low key celebration for me on the 25th, but it’s been great to have my old enthusiasm come back. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday so I feel more like myself again. Who knows where I’ll be next year, but maybe I’ll be able to decorate and have my cookie party again. At the very least, I hope I’ll be with my family.


FYI, the first pictures are from Thanksgiving.


Off to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment